Movie Release Date: February 11, 2011
Directed By: Kevin Macdonald
Starring: Channing Tatum, Jamie Bell and Donald Sutherland
In Roman-ruled Britain, a young Roman soldier endeavors to honor his father’s memory by finding his lost legion’s golden emblem. – imdb.com
Book Release Date: 1954
Originally Published as: The Eagle of the Ninth
Written By: Rosemary Sutcliff
In A.D. 119 the Ninth Roman Legion marched north into the wilds of Britain beyond Agricola’s Wall and disappeared without a trace. Fifteen years later, Marcus Flavius Aquila, the son of the unit’s commander, embarks on a quest to recover the lost eagle standard of the Ninth, symbol of a legion’s-and his family’s-honor. – From ‘Square Fish’ book jacket
Other Versions of the Book Cover:
Difference between the movie and the book:
- In the book, Esca fights in the gladiator arena and loses, before Marcus saves him. In the film, Esca refuses to fight the other gladiator but gets attacked by him anyway.
- In the book, Marcus frees Esca and both become good friends before journeying north. In the film Esca is a slave until the end and there is much tension and distrust between them. This changes Esca’s motivation from friendship and brotherly love, in the book, to simple oathbound honor.
- Film’s Marcus is solemn and quiet, whereas the book’s Marcus is warm and personable.
- The film’s Marcus has no plan for how to find the Eagle beyond going north and does not understand the Celtic languages, but the book’s Marcus speaks many Celtic dialects and uses a disguise as an oculist (eye doctor) to move easily from village to village.
- The book’s Seal People are dignified and civil, treating Marcus and Esca with good hospitality and even becoming tacit friends with them, since they don’t know of Marcus’ intention to steal the Eagle. In the book, the Seal People are harsh and savage, even executing a child for little reason.
- In the book, the story of how the Eagle was lost is much more complicated than the simple explanation given in the movie.
- There is no final battle in the book, as in the movie.
- Two important characters from the book were left out of the film: the girl Cottia and the tamed wolf Cub.
Interesting facts about the book and/or movie:
- The main character’s name is Marcus Aquila. Aquila is the Latin word for “Eagle”.
- The setting of this novel takes place in the 2nd Centruy AD in Roman Britian, after the construction of the Hadrian’s Wall.
- This novel is the first in a series. It follows with:The Silver Branch, Frontier Wolf, The Lantern Bearers, Sword at Sunset, Dawn Wind, Sword Song, and The Shield Ring.
- The author based this novel on two historical facts: the disappearance of Legio IX Hispana (Ninth Legion) from historical documents in 117AD, and the discovery of a wingless Roman eagle at a dig site at Silchester.
- A BBC TV series was made in 1977, as well as a Radio dramatization in1956.
Please leave a comment if this video does NOT work anymore!
In My Opinion…..
I recommend watching these:
- “300” (Film – 2006)
- Centurion (Film – 2010)
- “Gladiator” (Film – 2000)
- “Beowulf” (Film – 2007)
- “Lord of the Rings” trilogy
- “Troy” (Film – 2007)
- “Kingdom of Heaven (Film – 2005)
I recommend these books:
- “300” graphic novel (Frank Miller)
- “Lord of The Rings” trilogy and other companions books